Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Day Trip: Great Falls, Virginia

It's been well over 20 years since I visited the Great Falls National Park in Northern Virginia. My memory is a bit foggy, but I believe I also biked through the area with a friend once. With the falls only 31 miles away, it was high time that I revisited this natural wonder along the Potomac River. My travel companion, John, made it that much more enjoyable.

John and I and a view of the falls from Overlook 3.

After driving through much construction along Route 7, and past a throng of mansions along a tree-lined road, we managed to navigate around detours to the park entrance. Though the day was hot and humid, we spent enough time to enjoy Overlooks 1-3. Here are some pictures:

Mather Gorge from Overlook 1 is probably the most impressive angle.

A slightly zoomed-in view from Overlook 3.

Kayakers battling the waves and rock fronts to navigate the rushing water.

Enjoy this four-minute video of two views of the falls.


Afterward, we made our way to Mookie's BBQ. Established in 2015, this local eatery features more than just delicious BBQ. I had the Turkey Club with balsamic mayo, which included real chunks of turkey instead of deli-sliced meat. Our bartender, Greg, and an elderly man nearby, who didn't speak much but turned his head towards us now and then, listened to our non-stop chatter about our travels.


Our return trip had us avoiding most of Route 7 via the Fairfax County Parkway, back to 66, 28, and home. Of course, we had to stop off at our local tavern to relive the day with friends and acquaintances.

View my Blog for News and Tips!

No comments :

Post a Comment