Saturday, August 6, 2022

Day Trip: Clifton, Virginia

Prior to today, my only knowledge of Clifton, Virginia, was it was how far I had to drive to get to the nearest Outback Steakhouse. But that is five miles north of the Historic Downtown District, which is where I had my eyes set for a short afternoon trip today. With the town only nine miles from Manassas, I'm surprised in my 28 years here that I've never visited this quaint location.

Don't let size fool you. This town was bustling with people on my Saturday visit.

The main attraction is Main Street. At one end you have a few blocks of shops and restaurants, and the other end is lined with historic houses, which give the town its rich history. Let's start with the shops.


Most shops are situated in houses with history. Belle Jar Design is one of several that feature home décor, soaps, etc. This used to be called the "Pink" before it was repainted. It was built in 1905 by the Ambler farm family. Each room features plenty of items to peruse and purchase, including the bathroom.



Across the railroad tracks you'll find the Clifton General Store. Also a part of the building is the Main Street Pub, which features outdoor shaded dining.


Directly from that is the Wine Attic store and adjacent restaurant.


Inside you will find several rooms of wine, one in which you can partake in wine sampling.


Back across the street is the Clifton Cafe, which is where I chowed down on a BLT.


Don't let this picture fool you. They were very busy during my visit.


Next door is Peterson's Ice Cream Depot. I was way too full to have any on this trip. Next time!


Virginia Mercantile, down Chapel Rd. a block, features locally produced goods and décor.


Back on Main Street, literally just a hop and a skip and a jump from the eateries, are some quaint homes with RAD histories. Here I am standing in front of Buckley House. Writer Jeff Arch worked on the screenplay for "Sleepless in Seattle" here.


Directly across the street is the former home of Oscar Scott Woody, a sea postal clerk who perished on the Titanic at the age of 41. This house is known as the HuckBill House and was built in 1902.


Oscar Scott Woody

The Quigg house, built in 1872 by Louis Quigg, "was considered the finest with its mansard roof and open 3-story staircase." I'm getting Amityville Horror vibes.


There are several more houses along these streets, each with its own sign letting you know about its history. I'll let you explore them on your own. Here are a few more pictures to round out my visit:

The sun beating down on this train car has faded its once-red facade.

A basket of beautiful flowers and colorful foliage.

I'm hoping this area of Clifton can make use of the infrastructure money to bury power lines.



Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Receive Free Audio Book of The Ghosts of Culpeper Antiques