Sunday, April 24, 2022

Day Trip: Front Royal, Virginia

I'm guessing it's been well over a decade, maybe even two, since I made the drive out to Front Royal and the Shenandoah. This seems like a shame because the trek is only about an hour away. With the weekend weather perfect for an outdoor excursion, I left home around 9 am and pointed the car due west.

One of the many overlooks along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park.

My first stop was the historic district of Front Royal. Below are some of the many sites I took in with captioned commentary:

Murals abound in the historic district.

It's nice to see old-school theatres still a part of these small towns.

Another mural. I asked a man if he'd smoke his cigarette in front of it for the picture.

An abandoned building that could be something real nice one day.

A Confederate memorial in honor of locals who served stands on E. Main Street.

 A mom taking pictures of her children in front of a Virginia LOVE sign.

Not the best shot of downtown buildings. The district extends through several cross streets.

Sculptured naked men watching the town folk move about below.

An Earth Day celebration in the Town Square.

A couple resting on an ice cream bench in front of an ice cream store.

The outside of a pottery store.

Wonderful cups and pots made by Arlene. She introduced herself and we had a nice chat.

A tributary of the South Fork Shenandoah River called Happy Creek flows along the edge of town.

I noticed this stately home up on the hill of the east side of town.

The Randolph-Macon Academy can be seen up on the hills from the downtown area.

Next I headed for the entrance of the Shenandoah National Park just a few miles away. Passenger cars are charged $30 for a week pass (expensive), so I opted for the $80 year pass to all National Parks. Below are pictures of a few of the many overlooks in the first 20 miles of Skyline Drive.





I tried to get artsy here with an Impressionistic filter on my camera.


A couple visiting from New Jersey and I took several pictures together on Range View Overlook.

Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Receive Free Audio Book of The Ghosts of Culpeper Antiques