Thursday, December 16, 2021

Day Trip: Culpeper, Virginia

Check out my new book inspired by my visit to Culpeper. Available on Amazon and my website. Read about my visit below.


This morning I woke up at 8 am and flipped a coin. Heads, I drive to and tour Culpeper, VA; tails, I go back to sleep. It landed on tails, but I went to Culpeper anyways. Sometimes you just have to force yourself. Glad I did.

East Davis Street in the Historic District of Culpeper, Virginia.

The 100-mile round trip began with a stop at MinuteMan MiniMall, and ended with a peek into Country Shoppes Antiques. For an hour each I perused both for interesting items. It's crazy how much stuff they pack into these places. It's also odd to be in a booth full of antiques, then see flea market items like DVDs on the same shelves. I could spend a day in each place.

Here are just a few pictures from these two antique malls.

Aisles and aisles of booths. Always afraid I'll miss something if I don't pay attention!

Real alligator heads. You never know what you'll find in these places.

I actually owned this same tool chest as a kid. My first set of tools.

The only item I bought in the antique malls was this cute little cabin ornament.

First stop in the Historic District of Culpeper was the Museum of Culpeper. Admission was $5 for an adult, but their computer was acting up so the nice lady let me in for free. Here are a few pictures.




I just love handmade log cabins. I used to collect them a few decades ago. Still have one.

They had other displays with Civil War items, dinosaur prints, and relics from old houses and hotels. Lots of history in the area. Next door in the same building is the Culpeper Visitor Center.

Next, I walked up and down Main Street, Davis Street, Culpeper Street, and more. I stopped into a few garden centers and spoke to some of the shop owners.  Notice the nice architecture in some of the photos. I've captioned each photo with more information.

The trademark Virginia LOVE sign made out of film reels. Look closely.

I thought this man was a town Santa, but he told me he was just visiting, too. I think it's him. ;o) 

Nice architecture and colors along Davis Street.

I'm a sucker for buildings with old hand-painted advertisements.


This painted sign in an alleyway caught my eye. Always speak truth to power.

An old State Theatre. Looks like they turned it into a restaurant.

A real theatre down the street.

Shame to see these historic houses turned into these kinds of businesses. At least move the sign.

Look up! You'll see a few gargoyles and several church steeples along the way.

I'm not sure what they are trying to say with this sign. Any ideas?

A garden gift shop called Botanical Dwellings has a motorcycle parked inside to hold items for sale.

Some pretty impressive mansions along the South East Street Historic District.

This house is named Wysteria. It was built in 1885 and designated as a Virginia Historic Landmark.

My final stop in town was the Culpeper National Cemetery, established in 1867.


Culpeper has lot of shops, restaurants, and breweries, as well as vineyards on Route 29 and 15. My final stop was Messick's Farm Market in Bealeton, VA, where I purchased a pasta salad and Mallo Cups. When did you last see Mallo Cups? Earlier, I had the best McDonald's Daily Double burger just north of downtown Culpeper.




Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

1 comment :

  1. "The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don't go back to sleep." -- Rumi

    ReplyDelete