Saturday, July 4, 2015

Ushering Myself Ahead: Flip Phone to Smartphone

This is it. Make or break. The time has come. The time has long come.

In ten days I will switch over from my handy, hard-to-break flip phone to my new Android-based smartphone. I've held back for two reasons: my monthly plan with increase from $30 to $45, and I've been reluctant to fall into the generation of "eyes glued to portable screens."


Albeit, I've had an Android tablet for over three years now, but that never leaves the house. So I don't check Facebook or Twitter or anything when I'm away, just an occasional voice or text message. However, I find it necessary for me to upgrade so I can accept credit card payments with the Square app and attachment. You need Android 2.3 or greater and, unfortunately, my tablet bottomed out at Android 2.2.1. That was the last and final firmware upgrade.

So I am here to make a pledge on what I will and will not do with my smartphone. I hope you do the same.

1. I will never operate the phone while driving.

2. I will never have my phone "on" to check Facebook flags or Tweets or incoming calls when I am with people. I will reserve that for quiet times alone, like in a parked car after scarfing down a burger.

3. I WILL use the phone to take better photos of things I may miss when I do not have my professional Lumix camera handy. There are times when the flip phone's low-resolution camera just doesn't cut it.

4. I WILL use Instagram, as I hear that's gaining popularity among authors and readers...even more so than Twitter. Plus, it will be nice to shoot photos directly into apps when I'm in the woods or at an event. The immediacy is appealing.

In my "Cell Phonies" short story within People Who Need To Die, overly obnoxious smartphone users meet their bitter end in 2021. So I have less than six years to set a good example. 'Cause, it's gonna happen. And I don't want to end up like these people. Wish me luck!



Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

3 comments :

  1. You don't explicitly say so, but I think you intend not to be distracted by your hand-held device while walking. I see dangerous situations every day with people walking and using their gadgets -- at intersections, in busy parking lots, on the airfield ramp. A young mother was busily texting whilst walking in front of my vehicle pushing a baby carriage.

    No need exists. You don't need this doohickey, Victor. Solve the credit card thing some other way.But if you gotta have one I know you'll be more responsible than a lot of people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be proud to know that I backed down. I returned the smartphone, mostly because it was too small to view text, and I couldn't see myself paying an extra $180 a year for one feature. Luckily, I discovered that my old tablet can now take CC payments. Keep me away from that addictive technology, Mr. Dorr. We don't need it! Old school rules.

      Delete
  2. It seems like you had quite a dilemma back then. It's too bad that you decided to return the phone, but at least you found out for yourself that you don't really need it. While it is very convenient, it is still a luxury in the end. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Cheers!

    Clara Brooks @ Telco World

    ReplyDelete