Monday, May 4, 2015

A Psychic Predicted I'd Be A Writer

It was in 2005, a decade ago, that I came upon a streetside psychic in the Dupont Circle area of DC. She read my palm and emphatically predicted that I'd be a writer. At the time I was a self-employed filmmaker and web designer. Since then I've authored three books and have two more on the way. I still make films, and I still design websites. What's odd is, I never intended to write. I don't even like to read, except short articles here and there. And it wasn't something that I remembered until I wrote my first book, Musings of a Dysfunctional Life, from 2008-2010.  Here's an excerpt:

*****
Five years ago I stopped along a DC street where a black and white fold-up sign advertised: "Palm Reader Here. Just $5." I decided to go for it because, well, I like when people hold my hand. It's the same reason why I like to get my hair cut, to have someone massage my scalp.

We sat on the bottom steps of the building just above a basement-level ethnic restaurant. As she started to read my left palm, a rather large and shiny green bug flew by and attacked us. We weren't sure what it was at the time, but I'm guessing it was an adult cicada in its final death throes. She led me up the steps to the second landing and continued the reading.

"You will have a good full life (my life line was long), and you will meet someone special one day. He is out there. You may already know him."

Typical Palm Reader speak.

About ten minutes into the reading she smiled and said, "If you want to know more about your future, you need to pay an additional five dollars for your right hand. After all," she insisted, "wouldn't you like to know the complete picture?"

I gave in to her marketing ploy. My right hand needed touching too. She looked up into the sky, then slowly back down at me.

"You don't like where you're working now. One day soon you will change careers and work for the government. You'll be much happier."

Actually, I had worked for the government for years, but was now happily self-employed. She got it right, just backward.

And then she finished.

"One day you will become a writer."

When I told her that I made a few films which involved writing, she shrugged her shoulders with a "see" attitude behind them. Minutes later her husband shouted down from the inside stairwell to come fix dinner. The reading was over.

And now, on this day, April 12, 2010, I am writing this story to tell you about it.

*****

Have you ever had a prediction from a fortune teller come true? Share in the comments section below.

Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Receive Free Audio Book of The Ghosts of Culpeper Antiques