Tuesday, December 16, 2014

'Beautiful Nature' in the Making

Tentative cover design for "Beautiful Nature." I'll probably change it before the book is completed.
It's been seven long years of trekking through the trails of Northern Virginia--from Prince William Forest Park to Conway Robinson State Park--and now I'm ready to complete the photo tabletop book, which I am simply titling, "Beautiful Nature."

Full-page images of a few of the many beautiful trails I've walked along several times.
I've seen a lot of interesting things along the way, and I've had some incredible experiences that I hope I can convey in the captions for the photos. That's been the biggest challenge. I'm not a fan of photo books with no captions at all. But I also don't want to just state the name of the creature or plant or the location where a shot was taken. Instead, I am going to write about why I like each photo, and what was going on at the time that I took it. Like, how did I stumble upon these lizards and turtle? Creatures that hide so well you're lucky if you spot any in an entire summer.


And what was it like discovering these unique mushrooms? If you're a fan of fungi, you're going to love this book. To walk through miles of green and brown and then discover one tiny spot where a single bright-red mushroom has made its home is quite exciting. At least to a nature photographer. It's like an alien to the surroundings.


Remember the seventeen-year-cicada orgy of 2013? From the moment the millions hatched to a single ant carrying away the wing of a deceased adult, I was there to document it all.


And the seasons. The wonderful seasons. They're all covered in the book. Many are displayed in two-page spreads where you can immerse yourself into the beauty of it all.


Finally, what held the completion of the book back by two years: the lack of cumulative snow in Virginia. It wasn't until the winter of 2013 when there was enough to obtain some truly awesome shots. And then it seemed as if  the snow would never stop! My wish for snow came true a few too many times.

Brown leaves interspersed among dark trunks in a peaceful winter scene at the Brentsville Nature Trail.
I'm hoping to complete the book by the summer of 2015. Until then, enjoy hundreds of these nature photos on your TV along with relaxing music in my DVD, "Calmness of Woods." Your purchase helps cover the cost of making these images possible. Vic

Subscribe to my Blog for new posts.

No comments :

Post a Comment